Tuesday, February 3, 2009

End of an Era


The era of the Gilded Age is over. How do I know this? When I was asked by my husband if I wanted a bag for my birthday (which was yesterday) and I actually replied (to my own surprise) with a resounding no.

What I ended up wishing for (and getting) was the latest book by Lawrence Lessig called Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy.

While I was amazed by my change of heart with preferences, I stumbled across this article in Black Book which chronicles the death if the "It" bag.

What was one of the causes of death? It seems that the economy killed them: "Sorry, designer handbags -- your heyday has officially passed. From Hermes’ Birkin to Balenciaga’s Motorcycle bag, in recent years designery "it" bags have risen to the forefront of fashion’s must-have accessories (not to mention spawned tens of thousands of Chinese knock-offs). But it-bag mania has finally gone kaput..."

You can check out the rest of the article which chronicles the new recession friendly fashion accessories to look for here:

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/death-of-the-it-bag/6155

Enjoy! A more lengthy post will follow soon.

No comments: