Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Apparel Needs To Repent (To a Rabbi?)


*Photo courtesy of Getty Images*

I outlined Woody Allen's lawsuit against American Apparel back in April 2008. Woody Allen was just outraged that Dov Charney from American Apparel would have the gall to use his image for commercial purposes without the actor's permission: "They're not classy," Allen said. "If I'm going to do a commercial, it would have to be for, as I said, a large amount of money, it would have to be very clever, kind of witty or intellectual-style commercial, and it would have to be for a product that would enhance my image." The lawsuit was over billboards put up by American Apparel of Woody Allen dressed as a rabbi from his movie Annie Hall. Charney claimed that the lawsuit was silly at the time.

It seems that Allen's ten million dollar lawsuit was not as silly as Charney thought it was. Allen has agreed to settle his lawsuit for five million dollars. Charney remained unrepentant because he felt the advertisements expressed his feelings of negative marginalism. He claims that the insurance company that deals with American Apparel forced him to settle: "I'm not sorry of expressing myself," he said.

Charney said he hoped that the lawsuit would not affect Mr. Allen's feelings of him personally: "We would never try to malign the dignity of Mr. Allen," he said. "I have respect for Mr. Allen. ... I hope to meet him on more friendly terms at a different point."

Looks like clothing companies need to be more careful about using celebrity images...like I pointed out in my earlier post about this case, misappropriation never pays. It is easier to get permission than to use first and then pay out.